The Collegian named best college newspaper in South Carolina; staff wins 12 awards

The Collegian wins General Excellence award from the South Carolina Press Association
Hal Cook
Collegian Distribution, The Collegian, Bob Jones University, Greenville, SC, April 8, 2024 (Hal Cook)

The Collegian won the prestigious General Excellence award from the South Carolina Press Association, one of 12 awards the student news organization won in the 2023 statewide competition.

Judges said The Collegian’s entry stood out for the quality of its writing, photography and design, “as well as a good variety of news, sports and features coverage.”

Current and past staff members individually placed in the collegiate news contest in stories, photos and design categories. The contest winners were announced April 12.

Courtesy of the S.C. Press Association

Daniel Matesevac and Tyler Scott won first place for their arts and entertainment article, Dr. Bob Jones III talks Wine of Morning on film’s rerelease.  

Daniel Matesevac
Tyler Scott

Dray Dickey won second place in the news story category for his article titled, Interview: Dr. Alan Benson on leading Bob Jones University and the future

Dray Dickey

Nathaniel Hendry (’23) placed second for a feature story titled, Class creates tech, nonprofit to fight global malnutrition. Hendry also placed second in the sports story category for an article titled, Bruins beach volleyball team’s second season faces gritty start

Nathaniel Hendry

The Collegian also placed second in Page One Design for its Christmas 2022 print issue designed by Arianna Rayder (’23).

Arianna Rayder

Katelyn McKenney took home two third place awards; one each for sports photograph and photo story. Her sports photo was an action shot taken during the annual Turkey Bowl soccer championship and her photo story involved a fall 2023 performance by the Korea Children’s Choir

Katelyn McKenney

Zachary Smith and Hendry placed third for their news story titled, Mike Pence speaks about 2024 election, faith and civility at Bob Jones University

Zachary Smith

Zachary Edmondson placed third in arts and entertainment for his story, Living Gallery recreates artwork with human models that move and speak

Zachary Edmondson

The Collegian also placed third for its editorial titled, A Christmas massacre

The news site competed in the annual contest against newspapers and news websites at colleges and universities with enrollments of less than 5,000 students. For a complete list of winner, visit the S.C. Press Association website.