Celebrating The Collegian’s graduating seniors

Staff reporter Tyler Scott and staff comic artist Abby Wokaty.

There’s a point near the end of every school year where the attention shifts to graduating seniors. At The Collegian, we’ve arrived at that point. Staff reporter Tyler Scott and staff comic artist Abby Wokaty will walk across the stage in May to receive their diplomas.

Tyler Scott

Jonathan Griffin, a senior history major, developed a friendship with Scott in Principles of Broadcasting.

“I remember how long we practiced for our Fundamentals of Broadcasting newscast, and how sick we would get of that script running over, and over, and over again,” Griffin said.

Tyler Scott in the 2022 Christmas Radio Show. Photo courtesy of BJU. (Hal Cook)

Griffin and Scott continued to develop their friendship as roommates. Griffin remembers Scott “working on his writing for The Collegian, telling stories of lost video files, and messed up audio.”

Aside from all the stories, Griffin describes their friendship as “just pleasant time together, both in and out of media classes.”

Scott helped produce, edit, and write broadcast and written stories for The Collegian during the 2023-2024 school year. One piece he reported with staff reporter Daniel Matesevac won first place from the 2023 South Carolina Press Association collegiate news contest.

Abby Wokaty

Comics are often regarded as a highlight of The Collegian, and Wokaty brought her humor to life throughout the year.

“No newspaper is complete without a vibrant comics section,” said Collegian Editor Jonathan Lovegrove. “Abby has generously offered her talent and subtle sense of humor for the enjoyment of our readers.”

“I appreciate Abby’s friendship and kindness. She is a fantastic artist and has been a joy to work with in The Collegian.”

— Katelyn McKenney, Staff Photographer

Here are a few of the comics Wokaty created during the 2023-2024 school year.

See the rest of Wokaty’s comics here.

Future Opportunities

The Collegian’s work is only possible thanks to dedicated staff members like Scott and Wokaty. If you are interested in joining the staff, you can apply here.