BJU Hosts Successful Homecoming Weekend

Student fundraiser surpasses goal for foster care transition spaces.
Homecoming and Family Weekend 2023 included a Maker’s Market inside the BJU Student Center, Oct. 7, 2023. Staff/Katelyn McKenney

Bob Jones University celebrated its annual Homecoming and Family Weekend, including the University Day (U-Day) community event on Oct. 7. It was cool and sunny, with temperatures in the low 70s, a beautiful day for the event.  Thousands of families from across Greenville came out to participate in family-oriented educational activities for their children, run by BJU students and faculty.

Children could explore a wide variety of learning opportunities, ranging from the Creation Museum science booth to the Thank-a-Teacher booth led by the BJU School of Education and Human Services.

BJU provided activities like magic shows, animal balloons and bounce houses for children to enjoy for free. The chatter and laughter of families could be heard all across campus.

The Collegian interviewed several members of the BJU staff and community. Each was enthusiastic about the event and participation. Both children and adults said they enjoyed the activities.

The Maker’s Market was equally successful. At the Maker’s Market, BJU students, faculty and alumni sold art, crafts and snacks. Vendors told The Collegian of the large turnout and interest in their booth.

Later in the afternoon, the Homecoming Concert featured the Symphonic Wind Band, Chorale and University Symphony Orchestra. The concert closed as a success with much applause.

That evening, both the Bruins men’s and women’s soccer teams celebrated victories. The women’s team defeated Florida College, 3-0, and the men’s team defeated Emory & Henry, 5-1. Many fans on and off campus came out to support the teams. The teams played before a large and energetic audience. Brody, the Bruins mascot, made an appearance, attracting the attention of many young fans. Young and old alike bundled up for the cold evening and enjoyed snacks like popcorn and hot chocolate.

During the men’s game, the Center for Leadership Development announced they had raised $6,500 for Lily Pad, $1,500 above their initial goal. The fundraiser was part of the University’s spirit week, which included a faculty-staff flag football game and other activities throughout the week leading up to U-Day.

Following the men’s game, Homecoming came to its end with a fireworks show.

“The fireworks were some of the best I’ve seen,” Ellyanna Veld, a freshman nursing major, said. “This weekend was really fun.”