Bruins Baseball team falls to Truett McConnell Bears 

Marissa Ellerbrock
Bruins outfielder Riley Ramsey slides into base during the game against Truett McConnell University. Photo: Marissa Ellerbrock

With a crowd of about 125 watching, the Bob Jones University Bruins baseball team took on the Truett McConnell University Bears Feb. 28 at Conestee Park, but came up short, losing 11-4.  

Reid Giggleman, the pitcher for the first half of the game, and Noah Weaver, the pitcher for the second half of the game, gained a total of 10 strikeouts by the end of the game. 

The game began at 4 p.m. with a beginning prayer and the National Anthem. The Bears started at bat first, scoring one run from a long drive to right field. The first at bat for the Bruins was Riley Ramsey, who got a hit that landed him on first base. Zach Burk, who was third at bat, got a solid hit to the right field and secured a spot on first base. The Bruins ended the inning with several great hits, but they did not score any runs.  

The second inning ended with the score remaining at 1-0, the Bears still leading, and by the bottom of the third, the Bears were up 4-0.  

Ramsey had an incredible hit to right field. The outfielder caught the ball for a moment, but it bounced out, giving Ramsey the chance to land on second.  

Burk hit a single allowing Ramsey to make it to third. The bases were loaded, but none of the runners were able to make it home as the third inning ended.  

The fourth inning ended with no runs scored.  

At the bottom of the fifth inning, Ramsey had a beautiful hit straight down the middle of the field, enabling him to reach third base. Conley Burk hit a single, allowing Ramsey to get home for the first score by the Bruins. At the end of the fifth inning, the score was 8-1.  

The sixth inning did not yield any significant plays, with the score remaining at 8-1. 

The first bunt of the game happened in the seventh inning by the Bears, but it did not accomplish anything for the Bears other than it being a foul ball. Shortly after the bunt, the Bears scored another run. The Bears hit a long drive, bringing another runner home. On another play, the batter hit a short ball to the pitcher, who threw it to second for an out. The Bruins almost got a double play, but the throw to first was wide. The Bruins did not get any runs in the seventh inning.  

At the bottom of the eighth, Ramsey hit a drive straight down the middle of the field, allowing two players on base to make it home, the score now being 11-3. A missed catch by the Bears allowed Ramsey to steal home, the score now 11-4.  

No runs were scored in the ninth inning, with the game ending at 11-4.