Turkey Bowl turns Turkey Fest: features men’s and women’s soccer championships

Multiple events scheduled for Nov. 11 at BJU’s Alumni Stadium
Heather Battles
BJU to host Turkey Fest to add women’s soccer championship and society events to the traditional men’s Turkey Bowl soccer championship game.

For the first time, Bob Jones University will turn its Turkey Bowl into a Turkey Fest and the teams are set for society championship matches for both men’s and women’s teams on Nov. 11.  

The annual Turkey Bowl, the traditional championship match between the top two men’s teams, will take place at 6:30 p.m., Nov. 11 at Alumni Stadium featuring the Sigma Alpha Chi Spartans and the Chi Alpha Pi Cavaliers. The traditional pre-game Turkey Bowl parade will precede the men’s championship kickoff, also at Alumni Stadium. 

Sigma posted a solid regular season record of 7-1 and beat the 2-seed Beta Gamma Delta Patriots in the semifinals. They will play Chi Alpha, who finished with a regular season record of 4-4 and beat the 1-seed Phi Kappa Pi Rams 2-1 in the semifinals.  

The last time the Spartans and Cavs faced off in the regular season the Spartans came out on top, 2-1. The Cavs will look to turn the tables and secure a victory in this highly anticipated rematch. With both teams showcasing impressive performances in the semifinals and the memory of their earlier regular season clash, the Turkey Bowl promises to be an intense and closely contested game.

The Turkey Bowl is a significant part of this year’s grand celebration known as Turkey Fest, which promises a, activity-filled two-day event. Beyond the Turkey Bowl, attendees can look forward to the equally thrilling Turkey Platter, Pigeon Bowl and Turkey Cup.  

This year, the much-anticipated women’s 7-on-7 Champion’s League championship game is named the “Turkey Cup” and will take place at 4 p.m., Nov. 11. The match is set to showcase the Nu Alpha Phi Flames, with a record of 7-3, and the Theta Sigma Chi Colts, who also boast a record of 7-3.  

These two teams have crossed paths twice this season, with each taking a victory, one game ending with a tight score of 1-0 and the other with a thrilling 4-3 outcome. With the series currently tied, these talented teams will hope to break the series tie and emerge as the champions. 

Between the women’s championship game and the men’s championship, the University will host the Turkey Platter on the lower athletic fields and Athletic Center, starting at 5:15 p.m., a new event that will showcase all of the University’s societies. Each society will offer delicious food options and fun games before the Turkey Bowl game. It’s a multi-faceted celebration that unifies sports, fellowship and culinary delights. 

On Friday night, the Women’s 7-on-7 Recreational League championship and the Men’s 7-on-7 championship game, the Pigeon Bowl, will take place at 7 p.m. and 8:15 pm respectively. The women’s match will feature the 1-seed Theta Alpha Chi Owls and the 2-seed Zoe Alethia Wildcats. They played twice during the regular season, each winning once.

The men’s match will feature the 1-seed Basilean Eagles and the 7-seed Pi Gamma Delta Royals.

Basilean boasts a stellar 9-1 record while Pi Gamma posted a solid 6-4 regular season record. The two teams haven’t faced each other this season, which adds an element of unpredictability to the matchup. Attendees can look forward to an intense and thrilling game to determine the champion of the Pigeon Bowl.