Why recruiters return for BJU students

Hal Cook
Recruiters from christian schools around the world meet with students during the Christian School Leadership and Recruitment Conference at BJU, February 19, 2019. (Hal Cook)

Studies show that employers appreciate BJU graduates and hire them at high rates.

Jane Smith, director of Career Services, said, “Almost 90 percent of the 2018 graduates have reported that they are currently employed or are in graduate school.”

BMW, the U.S. State Department, accounting firms such as Deloitte, KPMG, Ernst & Young, PwC, and Upstate hospital AnMed are just a few of the dozens of organizations that hire graduates from BJU.

Many of them visit the campus to make connections and meet with students.

Employers attend the annual Career Fair and more recently, the Christian School Recruitment Conference, as well as many other on-campus events to scout for BJU students.

Pastor Brad Stille from Wixom Christian School in Wixom, Michigan, said, “We come back every year whether we need to recruit or not so that we can develop relationships with underclassmen. We just find that students from Bob Jones [University] fit our ministry philosophy in general.”

Employers also visit campus on a smaller scale throughout the year. One of the smaller events brings about 30 accounting firms to recruit students during the fall semester.

“Even though we have the Career Fair and we have the Christian School Recruitment Conference, it’s an ongoing process all school year, so students really need to pay attention to those things,” Smith said.

Many of these employers return year after year to seek out BJU students specifically. Employers often cite students’ training or character as major factors in their hiring decisions.

“We find that once a recruiter hires a BJU graduate, he wants more for his company,” Smith said. “BJU grads have a great reputation for their ability and their work ethic.”

One of these recruiters is Dr. Doug Abels, the Head of School at Killian Hill Christian School. “What I’m looking for is somebody who loves the Lord [and] who has hands of skill and a heart of integrity, as Psalm 78 says,” Abels said.

Another business that frequently hires from Bob Jones University is Miklos Systems, a software and systems engineering company in the Washington, D.C., area. In the past year, they filled five open positions with BJU students.

One resource for job searching that students can access is the Career Services office located in the Alumni Building. Career Services helps to connect students to recruiters.

“We have an online job board called Career Central, and every student has access to that,” Smith said. “We have over 400 jobs posted there right now. Lots of jobs [are] available if students want them, and we’re here to help them find them.”