Hwy 55 brings ‘50s diner-style burgers to Greenville

+Hwy+55+serves+fresh%2C+never+frozen+burgers++and+other++all-American+staples.++++Photo%3A+Ian+Nichols
Hwy 55 serves fresh, never frozen burgers and other all-American staples. Photo: Ian Nichols

Although the ‘50s ended almost 60 years ago, a taste of the decade is only 10 minutes away from campus. Hwy 55 aims to convey the feel of a ‘50s diner in a modern world.

Customers first expereience that feeling when they enter the dining area, which boasts bright pink and green vinyl furniture, a checkered floor and classic pop culture icons on the wall. And classic ‘50s tunes create the ambiance as the waiters serve the all-American food.

Preston Davis, manager of the Taylors location (located at 2801 Wade Hampton Blvd., next to Starbucks), said, “[It] kinda puts you back in time where you didn’t really have as many worries as you do nowadays.”

No item on the menu is over $11, and the restaurant’s regular burger menu ranges from $2.89 to $10.09, with their burgers being around $2 cheaper than Five Guys.

While definitely a burger joint, Hwy 55 offers other typical diner foods, including sandwiches, salads, frozen custard and shakes.

For the especially hungry, Hwy 55 offers the “Five Five Challenge.”

To complete the challenge, customers must eat a 55-ounce burger with a bun and at least  four toppings, in addition to fries and a 24-ounce drink, in only 30 minutes.

Those able to finish the entire meal in the time limit get the meal free and their name on Hwy 55’s website.

Although Hwy 55 now has 130 locations in multiple countries, 26 years ago founder Kenney More could not even afford a typical restaurant kitchen. Instead, in his first location in a North Carolina mall, he operated an open grill by himself. Realizing the open grill gave him greater connection with his customers, he kept the concept as the franchise expanded.

Hwy 55’s mission, according to the company’s website, is “to deliver authentic hospitality and fresh food to anyone who wants a little something more out of their dining experience.”

The company’s focus on hospitality extends to the Taylors location.

Davis said, “We try to treat [customers] like kings and queens when they walk in the store.”

The restaurant has an app that allows you to build points that can be redeemed for free meals and other rewards. Each dollar spent equals five My Hwy 55 points.

As an added bonus, for a limited time only those who download the app will receive a code for a free milkshake. The app, titled “My Hwy 55,” is available in both the Google Play store and the App Store.