Patriots, Colts claim volleyball championship title

Societies competed in the volleyball championship games on Saturday Photo by Rebecca Snyder. 30.23

The intramural volleyball season wrapped up last week after a great playoff series for both men’s and women’s societies.

The Beta Gamma Delta Patriots defeated the Phi Kappa Pi Rams 3-0 to claim the men’s intramural society championship Saturday night.

The Patriots’ win secured their impressive feat of not dropping a single set in any of their playoff matches on their way to the title.

Finishing the regular season undefeated was another impressive achievement by the Patriots volleyball team as they finished 6-0 to end the regular season.

“I would say every game has been important to my guys,” Patriots volleyball coach Kyle Kitchings said.

Leading into the playoffs, Kitchings said there were two players who made a difference this season.

“Impact players for us have been Lorin Pegram and Dion Vidal. They are our best volleyball players, and Lorin has been the leader of the volleyball team since I’ve been in Beta,” Kitchings said.

Despite losing to the Patriots in the championship match, the Rams had a successful volleyball season also going undefeated.

Rams volleyball coach Jonathan Johnston said he was impressed with the effort shown by the guys each match.

The Rams had a big win over the Pi Gamma Delta Royals in the regular season, beating them 2-1 in their third match.

“Our biggest game was against the Royals as we beat them in three sets. It was a very close game and in the end we won by just a few points,” Johnston said.

For the women’s intramural volleyball championship, the Theta Sigma Chi Colts A team defeated the Beta Chi Omega Bear Cubs 3-2 to win the title.

The Colts A team had two big wins to start the playoffs before entering the championship match, beating the Cardinals White team and the Classics A team back to back.

Saleena Walker, coach for the Colts A team said the regular season went well for the team because of their cohesion.

“Our teamwork is astounding due to the solid unity among the girls,” Walker said.

“Our starting lineup is fantastic, and we have a talented team all around. Our subs really bring energy, and the starting lineup does a solid job of bringing intensity to the game,” Walker said.

Similar to the Rams, the Bear Cubs also had a tremendous season despite falling short of winning the title.

“The regular season went well with a record of 5-1. As the season progressed we improved in our communication and working together as a team,” Bear Cubs coach McKenna Howell said.

Howell said the Bear Cubs’ regular season match against the Seagulls was a confidence booster for her team.

“We were down the first [set] and lost, but we pulled together and won the next two to send us into the playoffs,” Howell said.

Howell also said the team focused on keeping their energy up and working together as a team leading into the semifinals and throughout their season.