Column – 4/7/17

“Remember this, had any other condition been better for you than the one in which you are, divine love would have put you there.”

That’s a deep Spurgeon thought, isn’t it? Especially for someone who’s always living for the next best thing—for someone like me.

I’m a busy college student surrounded by 2,500 other busy college students.

My crazy life alternates between two metaphors—one in which I’m always drowning, the other in which I’m always dragging myself towards the finish line.

Such finish lines are necessary in life, of course. Without them, we’d have little motivation to do a thing.

But sometimes I forget to enjoy the journey, the now.

It’s easy to live for the next best thing. I too often catch myself comparing my circumstances with those of others. I desperately work towards the next break from school.

I want my life to look a certain way. I wish God was doing something else.

I’m a perfectionist. I schedule and plan out every five minutes of the day (yes, this is actually a thing). But the moment I can’t see the next step or I feel like my life is out of my control, I panic.

Somehow, I think my perfect, smooth-paved path is right, better.

And, somehow, I forget God’s will is best.

The other day, a friend shared a passage with me. Psalm 37:3-7. Just a few simple commands:

Delight yourself in the Lord, and He will give you the desires of your heart.

Commit your way to the Lord.

Trust in Him, and He will act.

God doesn’t ask me to make my life work. He doesn’t even ask me to worry about my future or to change my current circumstances.

All He says is, “be still” and to “wait patiently” for Him.

That’s all!

Work toward your goals. Pursue your dreams. Count down the days until commencement. But enjoy where God’s placed you in this very moment, and be tender to His leading.

It’s incredible, really, that a God so far above us is so actively involved in the lives of His children.

He cares for us in ways we’ll never understand, and He’s always got our best interest in mind.

All we have to do is take Spurgeon’s advice—to “remember.”

That can be difficult—even painful—for people like me who are always looking out for the next best thing.

But we can have hope today—now, in this moment—because we have a Heavenly Father whose divine love—far deeper, far greater than we can begin to imagine—governs our lives.

And, for a helpless, fearful college student, that’s enough.