Career Fair to connect students with employers

The Career Fair for BJU is held in the Family Room of the Dining Common. Photo by Dan Calnon 2015.

More than 60 companies will be on campus to recruit students for internships, summer jobs and full-time employment at the Career Fair next Thursday in the Davis Room of the Dining Common from 11:45 a.m. to 3 p.m.

Companies that will be recruiting include ScanSource, State Farm, Answers in Genesis, The Children’s Museum of the Upstate, Cayman Chemical and many more.

In addition to employers, many placement agencies will also be at the fair to help students find jobs.

Jane Smith, director of the Center for Advising and Career Services, said these placement agencies are a valuable resource to students because they are able to place students not just locally, but all across the United States.

Smith offered five reasons that students should stop by this year’s Career Fair.

The number one reason to go, Smith said, is that you might actually get a job.

The second reason Smith gave was good exposure into your industry.

The third reason to attend is networking.

Fourth, the personal touch. Smith said that sending a resume is not the same as the personal touch.

“Employers are looking for what we call good ‘soft skills,’” Smith said.

Smith said that “soft skills” are basically interpersonal skills—knowing how to interact with other people.

Smith’s final reason is to gain confidence.

“You’ll learn how to act, how to interview, how to dress,” Smith said.

Smith’s tips for success  at the Career Fair are to dress professionally, take copies of your resume with you and ask for their business card.

Smith said that last year the Career Fair attracted almost 300 students, and she hopes to double that number this year.

To make the most out of your visit, Smith recommends looking up the list of companies on the Intranet beforehand so you know what opportunities are available.

Smith also recommends, if students have the time, stopping by other companies not in your original scope of interest.

“It will broaden your view, and will maybe give you some ideas that you hadn’t thought of,” Smith said.

Smith recommends having an open mind at the Career Fair.

“You may think you know what you want,” Smith said, “[but] then you realize, there are lots of other options.”