AAF connects students to local design opportunities

The American Advertising Foundation, established in 1905, promotes the functions and values of advertising through a network of advertisers, agencies, media companies, local advertising clubs and college chapters.

“Whether you’re new to the fast-paced world of advertising or a seasoned professional, the AAF is for you. We’re here to help you advance your career, build your connections and celebrate this ever-changing, amazing industry we work in,” the AAF website says.

AAF BJU is the University’s college chapter under the Academic Division of the AFF and District 3.

This student organization offers real experience in graphic design and advertising to its student membership, which is mostly comprised of marketing, graphic design and journalism and mass communication majors, but it is open to all students enrolled in at least one marketing, graphic design or JMC course each semester.

Members have the opportunity to apply their creative advertising skills to solve social problems, further the cause of Christ, develop individuality and promote idea generation.

Jay Bopp, chair of the Division of Art and Design, was instrumental in bringing the AAF to campus after years of working with the association in Greenville.

“I have been involved with the American Advertising Federation here in Greenville since the 1980s,” Bopp said.

Bopp said he worked with JMC professor Kathryn Gamet and business professor Robert Hucks to create an interdisciplinary advertising class.

They hoped the capstone project for the class would be involvement in the National Student Advertising Competition, a competition that required a campus charter of the AAF to participate.

Now that the AAF chapter at BJU has been founded, students may participate in the competition.

Participants earn experience through the creation of full, integrated advertising campaigns.

Bopp said he desires the BJU AAF chapter to become a place the BJU and Greenville community may discover student designers to help with projects.

“We really want it to be an opportunity for the members of the AAF BJU [chapter] to serve the BJU community and the Greenville community,” Bopp said.

The AAF BJU is the first organization geared specifically toward graphic design majors on campus.

The organization welcomes students from majors and fields outside design to join, especially those interested in market research. The organization currently has 25 members.

Joanna Daniels, a senior graphic design major and president of AAF BJU, said the organization will design T-shirts, logos, Facebook banners and other social media designs, concert flyers, posters and other advertising projects.

Daniels said organizations frequently have one go-to graphic design student for designs who becomes overwhelmed balancing designs for student groups, class projects and other college responsibilities.

The AAF distributes project burdens and gives underclassmen designers opportunities to work on projects they would not have been able to before. 

Daniels said the AAF can guarantee good designs because of a strict and thorough process.

She said underclassmen working on projects are aided by an upperclassman and all designers must pitch their designs to a council of junior and senior designers.

The council will make suggestions and require edits to the design until it is of high quality.

Project requests should be emailed to [email protected] with an overview of the need three weeks prior to when the design will be needed.

The AAF will contact the client with questions or a time to discuss aspects of the project.

Daniels said joining the AAF is attractive on a resume and the organization provides solid experience to those who get involved.

Interested students should contact [email protected] for information on joining the AAF.

Daniels said the organization is looking for innovative students with good ideas to get involved.

Daniels said students should keep their eyes open for AAF opportunities and events on campus in the upcoming months.