Rams defeat Razorbacks in thrilling 40-39 win

The Phi Kappa Pi Rams defeated the Alpha Theta Pi Razorbacks in a flag football game Saturday morning. The Rams took away a 40-39 win to improve their record to 1-1 on the season.

The first half began as the Rams kicked off to the receiving Razorbacks. The chilly weather proved to be a factor in play as both teams dropped several passes. Alpha’s quarterback Aaron West released several strong throws, mobbing the Razorbacks quickly up the field.

West threw a strong pass to sophomore Ryan Mumey who ran into the end zone, but the Rams kept the Razorbacks’ lead to 6-0, as Alpha could not convert the extra point. Garrett Coker led the Rams’ defense and sacked West twice in a row, while Rams’ quarterback Micah Gold ran the ball in to the end zone, giving the Rams a 7-6 lead.

West responded with a beautiful long throw to the end zone for a touchdown, putting Alpha up 12-7. But Gold and the Rams struck again, giving them a 13-12 lead at halftime.

The second half was just as close as the first, as the Rams’ senior Ryan Anderson ran the ball in for a touchdown. The Razorbacks retaliated once again, however, as West handed the ball off to junior Andrew Netz, who sprinted to the end zone to put the Razorbacks up 20-19.

Alpha’s defense had no answer for Anderson, though, and he ran another ball to the end zone for another touchdown, giving the Rams a 27-20 lead.

On the next possession, Alpha tied the game up at 27-27, as West threw a nice pass to Colin Rygh who found the end zone. Alpha struck again, as West found Netz in the end zone to put Alpha up 33-27.

The Rams had to score quickly to stay in the game, and Thian Thang added a run to the end zone, tying the game at 33-33. But Alpha’s Dakota Price fought back with an aggressive run for a  final Alpha touchdown.

On the final possession, Gold threw a perfect ball to Thang, who scored to tie the game at 39-39, pending an extra point. The Rams picked up the extra point easily, giving them the 40-39 victory.

“For not many practices, I think the guys played very well,” Rams’ coach Benjamin Arcalas said. “The defense was good in the action point situation. The extra points really kept us in the game.”