Bruins triumph over Royal Crusaders, 95-52

The Lady Bruins play a basketball game V 29.09 Photo by Kayla Pierce

The Bob Jones University men’s basketball team defeated Crown College 95-52 Friday in the first game of the 2015-2016 season.

“We came out really fast, and I was very pleased with how we started,” said head coach Neal Ring. “I was pleased with how the guys responded tonight.”

The Bruins started their domination right from the beginning as they shot well and kept the Royal Crusaders from scoring early.

The Bruins took an early lead and never looked back, powered by Tre’ Tipton and Kyle Turner.

Justin Matthews also recorded a couple of three-point field goals, as the Bruins took a 51-30 lead into halftime.

In the second half, the Royal Crusaders were not able to deal with the Bruins’ intensity and fast pace.

Senior forward Noah Smith had an incredibly outstanding game, hitting six three-pointers.

Tipton had 10 rebounds and 14 points, including a highlight dunk off a fast break.

Turner also had a strong game as he put up 12 points and 12 rebounds.

At the final buzzer, the Bruins won their first season game 95-52.

As a team, the Bruins shot 60 percent on free throws and 46 percent from behind the arc.

The Bruins’ bench also outscored the Royal Crusaders’ bench 46-6.

“We were able to play a lot of guys tonight, and I was pleased with how we played as a unit,” Coach Ring said. “It is important we improve now, so we can do well in March.”

Next the Bruins will face Barber-Scotia College at home tonight, Nov. 13, at 7 p.m.