Homecoming encourages involvement

During this Homecoming weekend, many events have been planned to bring current stu- dents, faculty and staff, and alumni together as one. One of these planned events is the Bruin Nation 5K.

Formerly known as the Turkey Bowl Run, the Bruin Nation 5K is expected to draw be- tween 300 and 400 runners to the campus course Saturday morning.

The number of runners for the 29th annual 5K is down from its normal 500-plus partici- pants, perhaps because of the change of date to coincide with this year’s first Homecoming on campus. In past years the run has been sched- uled for the weekend of Turkey Bowl.

Jonathan Pait, manager of events and ser- vices for the Alumni Association, is responsible for coordinating Homecoming events such as the 5K. He said the Nu Delta Chi Vikings so- ciety has consistently partnered with the As- sociation to oversee the run for 15 years.

The society runs the check-in tables, water stations and time logs and assists with anything else needed.

“The Turkey Bowl [Run] was a huge thing with the community; a lot of people came and ran it,” said Gabriel Brea, president of the
Vikings.

Because of the change in the run’s name along with Homecoming’s debut, Brea expects more members of his society to volunteer—the new mindset being that BJU is the students’ and alumni’s home.

Brea said the Student Leadership Council is sending a message that the entire University family should identify as Bruins. “The Bruins are not [just] the athletes; it’s the whole campus. We are Bruins!” Brea said.

“What is it that has kept the Vikings lead- ing this tradition? [It] is the same spirit that it was before—[the] spirit of Christ to just go and serve,” he said.

Tau Delta Chi Kangas will join the Nu Delta Chi Vikings in leading this year’s 5K race. Anna Barker, Community Service Council represen- tative for the Kangas, is tasked with organizing society’s involvement over the years and through their role in the event.

“This year the Vikings and Kangas are try-ing to do more things together as a brother- sister society,” Barker said.

Societies are encouraged to become in- volved in both student life and University affairs. The Vikings and Kangas strive for the same defining feature—community service— that creates a unified bond between brother- sister societies.

Roberto Oliva, the oldest current member of Nu Delta Chi, said he’s proud of his society’s  involvement amid the changes that have come to BJU. “One thing that will never change is the Vikings’ selfless attitude of service,” he said.

Opportunities exist to connect with the community either as a runner or as a service member. Alumni and students are invited to stay after the race for the Bruin Nation BBQ Picnic from 5 p.m. to 6 p.m. Between the 5K and the picnic, many Homecoming events will occur. Check the Homecoming schedule on
p. 8 for highlights of this weekend’s events.