Chicken Salad Chick menu offers variety from typical college fare

Photos of Chicken Salad Chick Restaurant that is new to Greenville area. Photo by Stephen Dyset. 29.08

College students grow tired of typical burgers, fries and pepperoni pizza. Maybe it’s time for something different and fresh—chicken salad. Chicken Salad Chick, with its chic décor and vibrant colors, fits snuggly in the center of a strip mall on Augusta Road, just 12 minutes from campus, as well as at a new location on Pelham Road.

Inside, customers are greeted with smiles from the employees, mostly high school and college students.

“What I like about it is that we care about each other; we look out for each other,” said cashier Joann Hoffman, a student at Greenville Tech. “For example, if you can’t make it to a meeting because of class, they’re totally cool with it. The management really care[s] about your education.”

Aside from the service, the food—ranging from $8 to $11—continues to meet and exceed customers’ expectations. Chicken salad essentially has the same basic ingredients, so what is it that makes Chicken Salad Chick’s different?

All of their chicken salad is based on the Classic Carol. By simply adding other ingredients to the base, completely new flavors are created, making 15 different chicken salad recipes.

“The Classic Carol is the one that says it got it all started. That one is our all white meat shredded, celery, a little bit of mayonnaise and our secret seasoning,” Michael Reid, general manager, said.

Top sellers for Chicken Salad Chick are the Classic Carol, the Fancy Nancy, and the Sassy Scotty—all recipes are named after friends or family who helped co-founders Kevin and Stacy Brown create them—as well as two of their side items, broccoli salad and grape salad.

Customers can purchase menu items as an individual portion, meal portions by the pound, or in bulk packages for church events, picnics and house parties. Deli sandwiches and the soup of the day accompany their sides as alternatives for non-chicken salad lovers.

Chicken Salad Chick—the Augusta Road location in particular—loves participating in community events such as school spirit nights, catering, tailgating and non-profit organizations.

They also supply gift cards and coupons that make great gifts for family and friends.

“From Sept 1 through 30 we did a [fundraiser] with Harvest Food Bank,” Reid said.

Customers can purchase a $5 coupon book containing up to $20 worth in coupons, and every purchase went directly to Harvest Food Bank in support of the Emergency Food Supply.

To view the complete menu, store hours and read the company’s story, visit their website at http://www.chickensaladchick.com/sites/default/files/pdfs/MENU.pdf.