Artist series to feature guest trombonists

This semester’s first Concert, Opera & Drama Series program on Tuesday, Nov. 10, at 8 p.m., will feature BJU’s Symphonic Wind Band with guest trombonists, Matthew Vaughn, the associate principal trombonist for the Philadelphia Orchestra, and Dr. Frank Garlock, founder of the Bob Jones University Trombone Choir.   

The concert celebrates the trombone and is titled Trombonanza!

The performance will consist of eight pieces from different composers and eras ranging from as early as the classical period with Haydn’s Creation, to the modern day with Bert Appermont’s Colors.

The selection of music is in honor of Garlock, and recognizes him for his influence as a great teacher of trombone at BJU and around the world. Two of the pieces, Appermont’s Colors and Arthur Pryor’s Bluebells of Scotland, will be performed as solos by Vaughn.

Dr. Dan Turner, the conductor of the concert, said he’s pleased to have Vaughn playing with the symphonic wind band.  “He is a really really fine player,” Turner said. “Some performers are challenging, but his reputation is that he is very good to work with.”

Vaughn earned a bachelor of music degree with high distinction from Indiana University in 1992. He continued with his graduate work at the Indiana and George Mason University, studying education and conducting. Vaughn had the privilege of performing with the Israel Philharmonic Orchestra and the Super World Orchestra in Tokyo.

Vaughn teaches trombone and coaches brass chamber music at the Curtis Institute of Music and Temple University. Turner said it will be a great chance for the student body to hear a trombone performer from a professional level.

This is the only Concert, Opera & Drama Series program of the semester, and Turner is excited for people to attend the performance. “God desires for all believers to be as well rounded as possible,” Turner said. He also said attending performances and hearing great players like Vaughn, provides Christians with opportunities to share Christ with the unsaved who have an interest in music.

The concert will be broadcasted on
BJU.edu/live at 9 p.m. for anyone not able to attend the event in person. The performance is expected to last 90 minutes.