Column

“There are no great limits to growth because there are no limits of human intelligence, imagination and wonder.” —Ronald Reagan.

Habits are necessary. They help us cope with the thousands of decisions we would otherwise have to make consciously every day.

Every once in a while, however, we should bring those habits out of our subconscious, and rethink what we do carefully, with intelligence and sophistication in mind.

Intelligence goes beyond making a 4.0 GPA, and sophistication isn’t haughty or puffed up. Intelligence is choosing to learn from your experiences. Sophistication —or how you choose to manifest that intelligence—plays a part in sharing it when the right time comes along.

There are many ways to introduce learning to your everyday life, especially in your entertainment. TED talks, educational YouTube channels, classical music or even a trivia app can add to what you know daily.

You could visit an art exhibit in the Sargent Art Building and find something you don’t necessarily like. Try to figure out why the artist would create something that he liked and you don’t.

Learning a second language expands the way you think about communication, and can lead to understanding people more clearly in English.

Evaluate your verbal skills at any given moment, and see how much you use the word “like.” You may be surprised, and think of more creative ways to say what you mean.

On a more humorous note, it may not affect your intelligence, but there is a great canvas for thought when drinking tea, cold or hot—specifically, Earl Grey. It will change your life, and nothing says sophisticated like a London Fog over a sketchbook.

Take an interest in your own appearance; it’s not vain to make sure you look professional and put together.

Men, bowties are cool, especially the real ones you have to tie. Ladies, … just keep doing your thing. I’m not going to mess with that one.

Don’t settle to just be part of the  normal, slightly hipster, popular crowd. Make conscious decisions to be your own person and to stand out.