Classics beat Kangas, 2-0

Photo of Kangas and Classics playing volleyball

On Monday night, the Pi Delta Chi Classics easily defeated the Tau Delta Chi Kangaroos in straight sets.

In the first set, the Classics held a slight edge, but the Kangas battled back to tie it up at 10-10. From that point on, however, the Classics dominated the set. The Classics won several long volleys to gain momentum and then capitalized on strong serves and good teamwork to go on a 15-1 run, eventually winning the first set 25-11.

“I think [the first set] started out well,” the Kangas’ captain Bethany Williams said. “Then we stopped communicating, and we started getting sloppy.”

The second set was almost a reflection of the first, as the Classics edged out to an early 6-3 lead, forcing Kangas’ coach Liz Smith to take a timeout. The timeout proved ineffective, as the Classics continued to dominate play. Mistakes and miscommunication really hurt the Kangas, as the Classics pushed their lead up to 15-4. The Classics also capitalized on strong spikes from senior Leanne Cleveland and freshman Dani Payne to further increase their lead. Down 15-4, Smith called the Kangas’ final timeout as the team began to show frustration. Despite the timeout, the Classics went on to take a 25-10 victory in the second set, winning the match in two sets.

When asked what the keys to the game were for the Classics, coach Jennifer Verway said, “Keeping our attitude right the whole time. Sometimes we get down on ourselves and play badly. When we made a mistake [tonight], we just went on to the next point.”

With the win, the Classics improved to 4-2 on the season, while the Kangas dropped to 3-3 with the loss.