Showing Christ’s love during crisis

In the wake of the destruction caused by Hurricane Joaquin, the Bob Jones University student body has been given a prime opportunity to show Christ’s love and compassion to our neighbors.

Joaquin was the strongest hurricane of 2015 to date. Last week the storm pounded the already waterlogged Midlands and Low Country, breaching dams, contaminating drinking water systems, racking up billions of dollars in damage and causing many deaths.

Thankfully, Greenville wasn’t hit badly by the storm, but we can’t allow our own safety to blind us to the needs of those living less than two hours away.

The Bible is replete with commands to and examples of loving our neighbors.

In Matthew 22: 37, 39-40,  Jesus admonishes the disciples, “Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.

“And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.”

In John 13, we are told to love others as Christ loved us so they will know we are followers of Him.

We are also told, “Bear ye one another’s burdens, and so fulfill the law of Christ (Gal. 6:2).

Sometimes, especially as college students, it’s easy to get tunnel vision. With deadlines, recitals, projects, relationships and jobs, seeing beyond our own day planners can seem almost impossible.

But we have to remember that even when we are stressed, God’s compassion for the lost and unfortunate should still shine through.

The editorial staff at the Collegian encourages the student body to get involved with the relief effort wherever and however they can.

Join a group that is going down to volunteer. Bring non-perishable food or water to a food drive.

If you are able, take a loose change collection with your discipleship group and make a donation to Operation Renewed Hope or another reputable charity serving the affected areas.

Find a way to show God’s lovingkindness and show Christ in this time of great need.