BJU to host Homecoming 2015

On Oct. 23 and 24, BJU is inviting students and alumni to join in Homecoming, a weekend of special activities including class reunions, athletic events and more.

For students the term “homecoming” may conjure a variety of images, but the best way to think of Homecoming at BJU is like a holiday or family reunion, according to John Matthews, vice president for advancement and alumni relations.

“BJU is a family community made up of students, faculty, staff, alumni and friends,” Matthews said.  “Just as families get together for Thanksgiving and enjoy fellowship, food, activities and entertainment together, Homecoming is meant to be that Thanksgiving experience for our family.”

Jonathan Pait, manager of events and services for the Alumni Association  said homecomings are traditionally student events.

“It is an opportunity for all students to have fun showing school spirit,” Pait said. “Yes, we are looking forward to having alumni and friends attend, but the best way for them to enjoy their visits is for the students to enjoy their homecoming.”

To accommodate Homecoming activities, society meetings will be switched to Thursday, and chapel will be held Friday, giving guests coming in for the weekend the opportunity to attend chapel in the FMA.

Alumni from the classes of 2006, 1996, 1986, 1976 and 1966 will reunite over dinner Friday at 5 p.m.

Students, faculty and alumni will be able to partcipate in many of the weekend’s activities side-by-side. On Saturday morning at 9 a.m., the Alumni Association will sponsor the Bruin Nation 5K, with a portion of the proceeds from the run going to the Make-A-Wish Foundation.
The Bruins BBQ Bash will take place Saturday at 5 p.m. between the men’s and women’s soccer games. The time will be an opportunity for students and alumni to meet and mingle over a meal.

Registration and pricing for all Homecoming activities can be found at homecoming.bju.edu.

Student Body President Matt Ledbetter described the Student Leadership Council’s vision for student’s involvement in the weekend.

“At the end of the weekend, our ultimate desire is for students to be proud to be a part of Bob Jones University,” Ledbetter said. “Since Homecoming is a build-up for the athletic games on Saturday, we also want to support the Bruins in their role as ambassadors for the University and for Christ.”

President Pettit also shared his desire for the weekend’s activities.

“Homecoming promises to be a major highlight of first semester for our entire campus community,” Pettit said. “The weekend is packed with activities for all of us to enjoy. I encourage you to participate in as many events as possible and to show our guests great hospitality. Homecoming is an event not to be missed!”

Pettit will also host a State of the University Q&A on Saturday at 1 p.m. This will be a time for students and alumni alike to get an update from the school’s administration about all that’s going on at BJU.