Colts falter in 2-0 loss to Cardinals Tuesday

The Colts return the ball back to the Cardinals. 29.04 Photo by Kayla Pierce

On Oct. 6, the Beta Epsilon Chi Cardinals prevailed over the Theta Sigma Chi Colts in dominating fashion, winning the first two sets to take home the victory. With the win, the Cardinals improved to a 3-2 record overall.

In the first set, both teams committed several errors and the score stayed close early on. With the game tied at 7, the Cardinals went on a streak, running the score up to 14-9 and forcing the Colts to call a timeout. The Cardinals controlled much of the play early on, and most of the Colts’ points came off unforced Cardinals’ miscues. The score ran up to 17-9 before a Colts’ resurgence narrowed the gap to 18-14. However, the Cardinals soon pulled away, winning the first set 25-16.

The second set mirrored the first. The Cardinals jumped out to a quick 7-3 lead by controlling most of the play and setting each other up well. The Cardinals’ Lauren Peek strung together several strong serves, pushing the score up to 15-7, when the Colts called another timeout. The timeout proved effective for the Colts, as they captured the next point after a long volley. They used that momentum to jump back into the game as they narrowed the margin to 21-18.  But the Cardinals quickly took charge and won the second set 25-20, winning the match 2-0.

Despite the loss, the Colts still have high standards for the rest of the season. Explaining the lopsided outcome of the match, Bethany Davis said, “It has been a long time since we last played, and we beat ourselves because of missed serves.”

The Cardinals were excited about their performance. Sophomore Brooke Smith said, “We finally got our rotation down, and, with all of us knowing where we were supposed to be, it really helped with knowing where to be and at what time.”