Classics defeat the Cubs

The Pi Delta Chi Classics defeated the Beta Chi Omega Bear Cubs in Monday night’s volleyball game at the Davis Field House. The win improved the Classics’ record to 2-2 on the season.

The Bear Cubs started the set by serving with intensity. However, the Classics quickly took over the set with strong serves and excellent teamwork. Sophomore Kaeleigh Sparkman led the Classics with several powerful serves. The score stayed even early on, but the Bear Cubs’ setter placed a perfect ball into the back corner to take the lead. The Classics retaliated with several amazing spikes. The Classics’ junior Kelly Ward also had several spikes that gave the Classics an advantage.

Despite a close set early on, the Classics began to pull away. Junior Morgan McCarty came to the line and served two aces to continue the Classics’ domination. The first set ended with the Classic winning 25-8.

“I thought the overall morale of the game was fantastic, and our passing has definitely improved,” McCarty said.

The Classics served first in the beginning of the second set, but the Bear Cubs served an ace to counter. Freshman Libby Coats had two hard spikes in a row for the Classics as they began to pull away in the set.

The Bear Cubs’ effort never waned, but they could not overcome the Classics. Ward, the Classics’ athletic director, ended the set with a mighty spike to win it for the Classics 25-14.

“Our teamwork has definitely improved, and we have been talking a lot more,” Ward said. “We’ve had a lot of fun as a whole, and our net play has been really strong this year; a lot of blocking, a lot of kills…it is really exciting.”