ArtBreak offers lunch, learning at the M&G

M&G begins hosting Art Break. 29.03 Photo submitted.

ArtBreak, a monthly lecture series featuring different facets of art, history and literature, returns to the Museum & Gallery at Bob Jones University this semester, after taking its normal summer hiatus.

Since 2011, ArtBreak has been offering an alternative to the normal lunch hour for area professionals and retirees. The 45-minute catered lecture series draws groups interested in everything from literature and architecture to fashion and societal roles. Visitors are encouraged to comment and suggest topics of interest to them for future meetings.

M&G’s Events and Marketing coordinator Amy Basinger said the gallery tries to have a broader focus than just art. “We try to find ways for people to connect with the art though another interest they may have.”

While normally hosted at the Museum & Gallery at Heritage Green in downtown Greenville, the October and November ArtBreak sessions will be held at the campus location while the downtown site prepares its new exhibit.

This month, curator John Nolan will discuss an exhibition on loan from a private collection featuring art from the Low Countries, a term for the modern-day Netherlands. This exhibition, though not religious in nature, comes from the same time period and region as some of the Museum’s own permanent collection.

In the past, some of the more popular topics have centered on life in the Victorian era. Basinger said some of her personal favorites have been on women’s fashion, societal roles and how flower language—the meaning and purpose behind types and colors of flowers—played an important role in Victorian manners.

Next month, Dr. Rhonda Galloway of the English department will lecture on Edgar Allan Poe, the father of the modern mystery novel. This topic will serve to introduce the Heritage Green’s locations new exhibit on “sleuthing from the perspective of art.” Sleuthing, Basinger explained, is important in art research for understanding everything from the motivation and criminality behind forgeries to tracking down the mysteries of art looted by the Nazis during World War II.

Although most attendees at ArtBreak are from the local community, the event is also open to faculty, staff and students. Admission is $5 for the lecture and $12 for the lecture and boxed lunch.