Flames burn Seagulls 2-0

The Nu Alpha Pi Flames matched up with the Zeta Tau Omega Seagulls Monday  night in a Women’s Champion Volleyball League match. The Flames took control early on and claimed both of the first two sets to improve their early season record to 3-0.

Early in the first set, the teams battled back and forth, but by the middle of the set, the Flames began to edge forward. NAP capitalized on several Seagulls’ miscues to jump out in front 12-6. Sophomore Bethany Nething played especially well for the Flames, propelling them to run away with the first set by a score of 25-16.

The second set proved to be a more competitive set. Both teams were hindered by several miscues, but the Seagulls were able to build an early 11-9 advantage. The Flames responded quickly, however, and went on a 10-2 run, regaining the lead and putting them up 19-13. The Seagulls would not give up and used strong teamwork and excellent play to rush back and tie the set up at 20-20. With victory in sight, the Flames buckled down and finished off the Seagulls by a final score of 25-22 and a 2-0 match win.

Even with the positive result, the Flames realize they must continue to improve if they want to regain their crown.

The Flames’ Keilah Brock said, “We won this time, but we need to continue to focus on accuracy, hitting, and talking on the court so we can advance in the playoffs and become repeat champions.”

With the win, the Flames have sole possession of first place in the American League, while the Seagulls are in a two-way tie for second place.