BJU falls 1-0 to Eagles

On Sept. 26, the Lady Bruins’ soccer team suffered a 1-0 loss to the Toccoa Falls Screaming Eagles.

Despite the rainy, rough conditions, the Lady Bruins took control of the beginning of the game. They possessed well and even beat the Eagles’ outside backs on several occasions but were unable to create quality scoring opportunities.

Jenn Wise was able to lead Natasha Walters with a through ball, but Walters was unable to get off a solid shot due to a physical tackle by an Eagles’ defender.

The Lady Bruins’ midfield continued to dominate possession, as the Eagles’ midfield struggled to maintain its structure.

After some build-up, the Lady Bruins were able to win a corner. The resulting cross fell to the feet of Jenn Wise, but her strike was right at the Eagles’ goalkeeper.

In the 26th minute, Toccoa Falls went on a counter attack. The resulting shot deflected into the goal. Following the goal, the Lady Bruins attacked hard, but Mimi Lozano’s shot curled just wide.

Despite the miss, the Lady Bruins still would not let up offensive pressure. After catching up to a through ball, Abby Davis was taken out by the keeper sliding through the wet grass.

The referee did not call a foul on the keeper, sending the Lady Bruins into the half down by one.

When play resumed, the Bruins displayed a few adjustments, and the teams pressed back and forth. A cross into the box from the Eagles was headed toward the goal, but goalkeeper Jessica Baun was able to make an incredible save.

The Lady Bruins had several more chances of their own, but they were unable to find the back of the net.

“I have the highest confidence in this team that they will get stronger through these experiences,” Coach Chris Carmichael said after the game. “We still have a lot of games left and a lot of work to be done.”

With the loss, the Lady Bruins fell to 3-7 overall and 2-1 in conference play.

BJU will next host Columbia International University on Friday, Oct. 2. The Bruins will then have a chance for redemption against Toccoa Falls on Saturday, Oct. 3, at 4 p.m. as they host the Eagles for a rematch in Alumni Stadium.