0-0 draw at first intramural match

The Royals and Tornadoes play against each other at the beginning of the soccer season. 29.02 Photo by Stephen Dysert.

In the opening match of the 2015 BJU intramural soccer season, the Epsilon Zeta Chi Tornadoes and the Pi Gamma Delta Royals played out a 0-0 draw.

The Royals, coming off a loss in the 2014 Turkey Bowl, hoped to bounce back strong this season. The Tornadoes finished in last place in 2014 but hoped to reap the benefits of the young talent on the team.

Both teams started the game with solid defense. The Royals defense continually broke down any offensive chances EZX was able to create. However, Pi Gamma struggled to possess the ball well themselves, as neither team was able to make a break through in the first half.

Early in the second half, Austin Ray of the Royals took an ambitious effort at goal that curled wide. On the other side of the pitch, Coltan Schiefer of EZX showed a bit of skill in the midfield, but a physical tackle from a Royals defender slowed the counter attack. The ref spoke to the defender, but did not feel the need to give him a card. Despite an excellent opportunity, the Tornadoes were unable to capitalize on the ensuing free kick. EZX kept the pressure on the Royals’ defense as Schiefer caught up to a through ball but put his shot just wide.

The Royals countered the Tornadoes’ attack by winning a corner kick with about 10 minutes left in the match. The cross was struck into the left post and ricocheted away, nearly putting the Royals ahead.

Just a few minutes later, Pi Gamma earned a free kick just outside the Tornadoes’ penalty area. The free kick outside of the box was one of the best opportunities of the night, but the Royals’ kick flew well over the goal. The whistle was blown shortly after, and the game ended in a 0-0 draw.