Grad recital to benefit music scholarship fund

Daniel Overly and Tim Renner put on and perform in the Gingery Fundraiser. Photos submitted. 29.02

Bob Jones University will feature a benefit recital for the Gingery-Mack Music Scholarship Fund at 7 p.m. Sept. 26 in War Memorial Chapel.

Founded in 2014 by faculty and alumni of Bob Jones University, the scholarship encourages students enrolled in the music program by offering financial aid. Tickets for the recital can be purchased, online, through the University, and all proceeds go to the scholarship fund.

Baritone Timothy Renner and pianist Daniel Overly, both graduates of Bob Jones University, will perform at the recital. Renner completed the Doctor of Musical Arts degree in vocal performance and literature at the University of Illinois, and Daniel is a candidate for the Doctor of Musical Arts degree in collaborative piano at the Cleveland Institute of Music.

“When I’ve applied to schools,” Overly said, “being offered a scholarship is a good incentive.” Overly thinks the scholarship will help Bob Jones University attract students who will be assets to the program. Renner and Overly will perform songs from composers of the early 20th century, such as Rachmaninov, Frank Martin and George Butterworth.

Named after Bob Jones University professors, Dr. Gail Gingery and Mr. Warren Mack, the scholarship honors both men for their strong faith and commitment to serving God and the University. Gingery, who taught voice in the Division of Music for over 50 years, graduated from Bob Jones University in 1951 and received a graduate degree in 1953. Mack, a veteran of World War II, graduated from the University in 1950 and earned a master’s degree in piano, in 1952. In 1963, Mack started teaching piano at Bob Jones University.

The benefit recital on Saturday remembers these two men while also inspiring the next generation of music students.