Lady Bruins ground the TBC Eagles, 6-0

Kayla Pierce
Lady Bruins have a home game against Trinity Baptist winning 6-0. V 29.1 Photo by Kayla Pierce

The BJU Lady Bruins dominated Trinity Baptist College Saturday afternoon in a decisive 6-0 victory. 

From the kickoff, the Lady Bruins wasted no time at all, as Mimi Lozano blasted a left-footed strike past the keeper early in the game to put the Lady Bruins up 1-0. Twenty minutes later, the Lady Bruins lit up the scoreboard again. This time Lozano served a marvelous through ball to Sarah Herr who took two touches and struck the ball past the keeper.

After the second goal, head coach Chris Carmichael began to rotate players from his deep bench. Carmichael later commented on the quality depth of the team, saying, “It has been really huge for us.”

Following the half, the starters were rotated back into play. In the 60th minute, the Lady Eagles made a defensive mistake, leaving Lozano in a one-on-one with Sarah Hollien, the Eagles’ keeper. Lozano deftly slid past the keeper and finished from a tough angle to push the score up to 3-0. After the game, Coach Carmichael was very complimentary of Lozano’s impact on the team. “She has been great for us. She has a lot of skill and takes pressure off other players.”

Eleven minutes later, the Lady Bruins struck again as freshman Abby Davis capitalized on an Eagles’ defensive miscue to head in her third goal of the season.

Spurred on by the goal, Davis was able to score again in quick succession. Following an Eagles’ loss of possession, Davis beat the keeper to the ball and brilliantly finessed the ball into the bottom corner.

In the 85th minute, Ally Jenkins picked out an open Leah Edwards in the midfield. Edwards’ ambitious effort from well outside the penalty box flew over the keeper’s head and just under the crossbar for the sixth and final goal of the Bruins’ offensive onslaught.

With their stellar defense, the Lady Bruins tallied their second clean sheet of the young season.

The Lady Bruins’ 6-0 win propelled them to 3-4 overall and 2-0 in conference play.