Q&A: Bruins guard Ray Holden talks about his love for basketball, God

Holden has already proven to be a valuable asset to the Bruins. Photo: Jacob Larsen

He thinks the best Gatorade flavor is strawberry, and his low-cut Kobe’s are a favorite in his collection of basketball shoes.

Hailing from Baltimore, Md., freshman Ray Holden joins the Bruins as an excellent guard who’s already proved himself by showing his speed and strength in early games.

Collegian sports writer David Baral sat down with Holden not only to find out about his love for basketball, but also his biggest passion in life: sharing Christ with others.

DB: Who is your favorite college basketball team?

RH: Kentucky all the way.

And your favorite NBA team?

The Oklahoma City Thunder, especially since I follow Kevin Durant (a forward for the Thunder), who was from a school near me. He was my favorite player growing up.

If you could pick anyone, living or dead, who would you challenge to a game of one-on-one?

I would challenge Derrick Rose. He’s very fast, very competitive. I’d like to see what my chances would be against him.

What’s your favorite thing to eat in the dining common?

The chocolate chip cookies.

If you were stranded on a deserted island, what three things would you want with you?

My Bible, my best friend and unlimited chocolate chip cookies and Gatorade.

If you could trade places with anyone for a day, who would it be?

Umm … Kevin Durant? (laughs)

What made you decide to come to BJU?

During my junior year of high school, I was gung-ho for basketball and really wanted to play at the D-1 level, but I felt like God wanted me to do something different. I actually chose to come to Bob Jones [University] before I found out about the basketball program because I wanted to go into the ministry.

Why did you choose to study youth ministries as your major?

I wanted to give back in areas that my coaches, pastor and deacons in my church have. And since I’m outgoing, I feel that I can use basketball to reach others.

What was your reaction when you found out BJU was starting an intercollegiate basketball team?

I was shocked. I never thought they’d have one.

What would you like to see from students this season as they support the Bruins?

Our team’s motto is “Live Christ,” and if our student body can live Christ as they cheer, like being respectful to the other teams, that would be awesome.

If you could tell someone only one thing, what would it be?

That the world they’re living in now is nothing compared to what they can have in Christ. If you don’t have Him, then life doesn’t mean anything.