Team IMPACT uses martial arts to share the Gospel

Team Impact practices for upcoming opportunities to perform martial arts and present the Gospel. Photo: Submitted

Team Impact is a martial arts demonstration group run by six BJU students whose ministry has two goals: to perform martial arts routines and to present the Gospel.

Team Impact performs at community centers and youth events as a free attraction that is used by pastors and ministry groups to bring people in contact with their own ministry and to give youth a chance to hear the Gospel.

The performance, which is a demonstration of a variety of martial arts styles, is divided into three sections: a 15-minute opening demonstration, a 15-minute devotional and a closing 15-minute demonstration.

Team Impact’s mission statement is to impact youth for Christ. The team desires to be a light to its audience and to expose youth to the Word of God.

“We put smiles on kids’ faces, and while we’re doing that, we’re able to present the gospel,” said Mitch Flowers, a senior criminal justice major and the leader of Team Impact.

Flowers said Team Impact has been an opportunity for him to minister in places where other people might not have the opportunity to witness.

When he came to BJU as a freshman, he was introduced to Team Impact while he was looking for an outreach ministry at the annual Student Opportunities Fair. He was drawn to Team Impact because martial arts has always been a part of his life.

Not only is marital arts a fun sport, Flowers said, but it also teaches a lot of discipline, self-control and how to work with a team.

By getting involved with Team Impact, Flowers said he has learned that God can use anything, including martial arts, to have a ministry.

Flowers has seen God use Team Impact as an opportunity to share the Gospel.

After Team Impact performs, the children in the audience often bring the broken boards from the demonstrations for the team members to sign. Flowers said this gives the team members the opportunity to not only sign their name, but also to write a Bible verse — a small seed that will hopefully have a lasting impact.

The team members take their ministry seriously. Practice is every Saturday from 9 to 10:30 a.m., beginning the first weekend of the semester and continuing until commencement.

Tryouts for Team Impact are open to all BJU students and graduate assistants and include demonstrating your martial arts style and answering a series of questions about your testimony and desire to be involved with the ministry.

Members must have prior martial arts experience, which in this case means being able to demonstrate their own style of martial arts.

“We don’t need black belts,” Flowers said, “only people who know the basics and have a heart for ministry.”

Overall, Team Impact is looking for team members who “love the Lord and show that through the team,” Flowers said.

Additionally, Team Impact needs contacts for places where they can come and demonstrate their talent and share their love of Christ with others.

If you’re interested in joining Team Impact or having them perform with your ministry, email Mitch Flowers at [email protected].