Classics dominate Tigers in second half, win 40-23

Tatiana Bento
Emily Yancey of the Tigers moves to block a shot from Krista Knisely of the Classics. Photo: Tatiana Bento

The Pi Delta Chi Classics overpowered the Theta Delta Omicron Tigers 40-23 Monday night.

Both teams came into the game with a record of 2-0, hoping to grab a quality win over their opponent.

The first half was close throughout, as neither team could seem to gain the upper hand. Each time the Classics scored, the Tigers responded with a basket of their own. As the half began to wind down, it pointed toward a close halftime score.

Fittingly, the score was 18-15 at halftime with a three-point advantage in favor of the Classics.

As the second half got underway, the Classics scored four points in the opening three minutes to take a seven-point lead. Classics freshmen Anna Daulton then scored off a fast break to increase the lead to nine. The Tigers responded less than a minute later to stay within striking distance, but Daulton scored again from just inside the arch to keep the Classics comfortably in the lead, 26-17.

A couple of minutes later, the Tigers were able to move the ball around and find the basket, once again pulling within seven. The Classics continued to pound on the defensive side, making several fast break opportunities for themselves. Daulton recorded two free throws after being fouled on a fast break and converted a left-handed layup two minutes later on another fast break.

The Tigers did not have an answer for the Classics down the stretch and scored just eight points in the second half, while giving up 22 to Pi Delta. Classics freshman Rebecca Teruel had six second-half points, contributing to the final 40-23 victory in the Classics’ favor.