Alpha proves dominance with key wins over Zeta Chi, Pi Gamma

The Alpha Theta Pi Razorbacks overcame the two greatest obstacles of their regular soccer season last week, defeating both the Epsilon Zeta Chi Tornadoes and the Pi Gamma Royals 2-1 on Monday and Saturday, respectively.

Monday’s game began with Z forward Mark Osorio scoring just seconds before halftime, giving the Tornadoes a 1-0 lead.

Zeta Chi came out strong in the second half, but Drew Maynard and Tommy Colavito held the Alpha defense together in stopping Z’s repeated offensive efforts.

Halfway through the second half, Alpha’s Jonathan Monczewski sent the ball across the goal box and Marc Pagliuca headed it in to tie the game. Minutes later, Tommy Lamper fought off the Tornado defense and booted home a beautiful shot from the top of the 18-yard box to seal Alpha’s 2-1 victory.

Saturday’s game started with Pi Gamma quickly scoring in the second minute to gain an early 1-0 lead. However, disaster soon followed as miscommunication between Pi Gamma’s defenders and goalie yielded an own-goal, resulting in a 1-1 tie.

Alpha’s Josh Csire pounded the ball into the back of the net just before halftime to give the Razorbacks a 2-1 win.

Alpha coach Marc Pagliuca said he’s excited for Alpha’s future because of how young the team is. “We have lots of solid freshmen that continue to get better throughout the season,” he said.

Alpha has just two more regular season games before intramural soccer playoffs start, and it remains a top contender in the championship race due to its nearly perfect record of 9-0-1.