French professor receives prestigious award

Dr. Bruce Byers was recently recognized by the SCFLTA. Photo: Holly Diller

Félicitations are in order for Bruce Byers, a well-known French teacher at BJU, who recently won a prestigious award from  the South Carolina Foreign Language Teachers Association (SCFLTA).

Byers, the head of the modern language and literature department, has recently been given a lifetime achievement award from the SCFLTA, in which he serves as a member of the board of directors. This award recognizes educators who excel in teaching and leading in world language education through their careers.

“I am humbled by the award and thankful to God for His kindness,” Byers said.

Byers has employed his skill with the French language to benefit Bob Jones University and its students through several different avenues.

During the years he’s spent at BJU, he has developed the current beginning and intermediate French course syllabi, co-authored two high school French textbooks, and just recently submitted his proposal for a new French major program. He has also led mission trips to both Quebec and Haiti.

Students find Byers’ passion for the French language inspiring.

Bethany Ross, a sophomore Christian ministries major, said Dr. Byers’ genuine desire to help the students learn French encouraged her during her time in his class.

“I always felt he was eager to help us as best he could,” Ross said.

Rob Loach, also a part of the modern language and literature department, studied under Byers while attending BJU and said Byers’ facility with the French language amazed the students.

Loach later became one of his colleagues and said that Byers’ desire for excellence spurred him on to achieve that same excellence.

“He loves students, and you will often find a student in his office seeking help, chatting or drinking coffee with (him),” Loach said.