Bruins women fall just short of Valkyries at Converse College

The Bruins women’s basketball team fell Saturday afternoon to the Converse College Valkyries 59-50 in a game played just up the road from Greenville in Spartanburg, South Carolina.

While the Bruins lost, they definitely showed the intensity and effort that will be needed throughout the grueling season that will last until March 2015.

The Valkyries took a modest three-point lead into halftime, and the game remained close throughout, as the Bruins lost by only nine points.

Converse’s established dominance on the paint was what ultimately secured the victory for the team. In fact, the Valkyries scored 38 of their points in the paint compared with the Bruins’ 20.

BJU has already challenged several tough competitors this season; that experience should lead to more success later in the season.

As the season continues, the Bruins look to capitalize on the balanced offensive attack that Head Coach Mike LeViere said he knows they possess.

Senior captain Kourtney Hoefler and junior guard Hannah Tompkins were both unavailable to play due to injuries, but hopefully both players will return to action quickly and jump-start LeViere’s offense.

The matchup Saturday was the first game in the regular season for the Valkyries. Converse’s Margo Dill led all scorers with 14 points, and Bruins’ Maggi Ford recorded 12 points.

The Bruins women look to build on the tough start and apply the lessons they have learned to their future games in order to be a competitive opponent as the season progresses.