Students, faculty to reflect on God’s blessings in annual Praise Service

Bob Jones University students and faculty will gather to give thanks to God during the annual Thanksgiving Praise Service Monday.

This year’s theme for the Praise Service is “Give Thanks!” In addition, the service will also emphasize three fruits of the Spirit: love, joy and peace, which were chosen for their connection to this year’s theme of “Walking in the Spirit,” said Mrs. Laura Brundage, faculty member in the Division of Music and director of this year’s program.

“My desire is that the Praise Service points us to Christ,” Brundage said. “I want it to be a short break in the midst of our busyness that renews our souls and makes us delight in who our God is for us.”

The Praise Service will take place during the normal chapel hour Monday, and attendees will spend the majority of the time singing uplifting songs of praise, including “In Christ Alone” and “O God, My Joy.” The university Chorale and the BJU orchestra, both directed by Dr. Cook, will help lead the singing. In between songs of praise, several passages of Scripture will be read by various students and faculty.

This time spent singing and hearing Scripture read is meant to encourage and uplift the hearts and minds of the BJU family. “We will all benefit from worshipping together,” Brundage said.

Laura Bush, a junior nursing student, said she appreciates the Praise Service because “it’s an opportunity to look back and reflect on what God has done during the semester — to praise Him and thank Him.”

Bush remembers last year’s Praise Service when the announcement that classes were canceled the following day because of the heavy snow was greeted with a roar of approval from the student body. She said that was definitely the most memorable Praise Service, but she is not expecting the same result this year. Even though classes will most likely carry on as usual this year, Bush said that she is looking forward to the time that will be spent in song.

Whether Monday chapel hour marks the end or the beginning of your last few tests and project deadlines, Brundage encourages everyone to come prepared to reflect on God and His blessings.

“Come ready to worship our God,” Brundage said, “for what He is doing in us and through us.”