Bruins women’s basketball season opens with two losses

The Bruins women’s basketball team opened its season last weekend playing two games and falling to both opponents.

The team began the 2014-15 season Thursday, Oct. 30, in Waleska, Georgia, challenging the Reinhardt University Eagles.

The Bruins played again two days later, this time in Columbia, South Carolina, against the Columbia College Fighting Koalas.

The Eagles opened game one with ferocity. They came out confidently, and it showed on the court as they took a 19-point lead several minutes into the game, 21-2.

The Bruins struggled on both offensive and defensive ends, while the Eagles’ offense converted well, and their defensive efforts forced 13 turnovers in the first half alone.

By halftime, the Bruins found themselves in trouble, down 40-17.

The second half was another tough half for the Bruins, although junior Kendra Jeffcott seemed to find some rhythm. Jeffcott, who led the Bruins with 16 points, was able to create some offense for the team while trying to turn the tide of the game. Jeffcott, who also led the Bruins in rebounds, ended the game with nine rebounds, just one away from a double-double.

Throughout the rest of the second half, the Bruins were unable to close the gap, losing 79-53 in the end. The Bruins committed 10 turnovers in the second half, for a game total of 23 turnovers, helping the Eagles keep a healthy lead throughout.

The Bruins looked to bounce back a couple of days later against Columbia College to try to improve their record to 1-1.

The Koalas were poised, however, and proved to be a strong opponent.

Similar to game one, the Bruins fell down early because of poor shooting and turnovers, but still managed to stay within striking distance throughout the first half.

Falling down by 13 at one point, the Bruins remained competitive and did not let the game slip away. Heading into the locker room for halftime, the Bruins had cut the lead to nine, at 33-24.

The Bruins shot poorly during the second half as well, and found themselves down by more than 20 at one point. The Koalas, on the other hand, did a good job of capitalizing on the Bruins’ turnovers, numbering 21 for the night.

The Koalas finished on top with a score of 66-51.

The Bruins’ Maggi Ford, a junior, led the way with 19 points, while senior Kourtney Hoefler recorded 12 rebounds.