Bruin Nation: there’s an app for that

A student uses the new Bruins app. Photo: Holly Diller

Bruin Nation has quicker access to news and updates about its sports teams than ever with a new Bruins app.

When the department of athletics came up with the idea of an app to keep Bruins supporters more connected to their sports teams, they settled on a mobile app. “Everybody has an app,” sports information director Jonny Gamet said. “It’s the technological world that we live in that people want information faster, and they want information easier.”

The department of athletics began by researching different ideas that would help to engage the Bruin fan base. After negotiating with several Web companies, the Bruins selected iSmart Mobile to develop the new Bruins app.

The new Bruins app allows fans to go to a central place for faster and easier news. The app links to the Bruins Facebook, Twitter and Instagram accounts. An RSS Feed is available so fans can set up alerts on their phones for new stories. “Our hope is that it will be more convenient for people to find out more information about us,” Gamet said.

Before releasing the app, the department of athletics had a test group download the app and try out the features.

The Bruins app can be downloaded from the Mac App Store or Google Play. To find the Bruins app, simply type “BJU Bruins” into the search bar of the App Store.

Already, the Bruins app has had over 500 downloads.