Take a step up from Taco Bell at The Local Taco

Each location of The Local Taco is unique. Photo: Ethan Rogers

Moe’s and Chipotle have a new competitor, and Mexican food enthusiasts have a new favorite: The Local Taco, a sit-down Mexican restaurant that focuses on fresh, gourmet ingredients.

With locations in Tennessee, Kentucky, North Carolina, South Carolina and a new location soon to open on Pelham Road near the Chophouse ’47 Steakhouse right off Interstate 85, The Local Taco is a small chain that’s expanding quickly.

This expansion may be a result of The Local Taco’s unique food offerings. The manager of The Local Taco on Conestee Avenue described the food as a Southern take on Tex-Mex cuisine. The restaurant tries to combine food from Mexico and America into gourmet dishes like the “Texadilla,” “Chicken Tinga” or “Mexi Tater Tots,” combining traditional tater tots with a little bit of south-of-the-border spice.

The menu also offers some more traditional Southern dishes, like the smoked brisket or buffalo chicken. The Local Taco’s expansive menu features a wide variety that will satisfy even the pickiest of eaters.   

Each location of The Local Taco tries to take on some of the culture of the surrounding area. The Greenville location features industrial-style design on the inside and a nice porch area for eating outside. Each location also tries to offer a dish that is unique to its area.

The localness of The Local Taco does come with a bit of a price tag: quesadillas start at $9.95, and three tacos cost $12. However, the portions are fairly large, and part of the price tag includes the urban atmosphere and fresh ingredients.