Brick Street Cafe: secrets and cakes and pies oh my!

Brick Street Cafe serves up savory Southern cuisine in a delightfully quirky atmosphere. Photo: Ciara Weant

The South is home to many restaurants dedicated to serving their customers quality Southern cuisine. But Brick Street Café has a unique aesthetic appeal.

The café’s traditional red brick building doesn’t do justice to its quirky interior decorating. You walk in to see colorful lanterns, different styles of furniture and paintings hanging on bold, bright-colored walls.

Manager Garyn Bryant wants first to wow his customers, then immediately set them at ease.

“Not that it’s overwhelming,” he said, “but they just walked in to this new world that they just can’t wait to explore. That’s how it really hit me the first time I walked into the building.”

This local café is known for its sweet potato pie and cake, which have been made from the same recipe for 20 years.

“What’s funny,” Bryant said, “is [that] the owner, Sarah Wilson, doesn’t actually even know the recipe; it’s her husband, Jim. That’s his job security: He actually comes in and makes the pie himself in the bakery with no one else.”

The pie crust is the only part of the sweet potato pie that is allowed to be made by someone else.

The restaurant’s sweet potato pie became so famous that the management decided to make sweet potato cake, which is topped with homemade cream cheese frosting.

Besides its famous cake and pie slices, Brick Street Café also serves a variety of meal options. Lunch is around $10 for items such as sandwiches, soups, salads and desserts. Dinner, which can cost up to $27, includes salads, a variety of meat and seafood choices, as well as sandwiches and desserts.

While eating, you can also enjoy the inviting, fun and artsy atmosphere at Brick Street.

Part of these vibes come from the unique layout where some parts are sectioned off based on the colors of the walls.

In addition, the café is big enough to host baby showers and wedding receptions. In addition, a downstairs section is available for private dining.

But Brick Street Café’s wonderful atmosphere isn’t just a result of the decor. The owner also makes a point to hire interesting people.

“[The owner’s] idea is basically that we’re on a stage.” Bryant said, “Everybody is a character here. Everybody has a great story to tell.”

And these characters aren’t afraid to think outside the box.

“We are founded on the word ‘yes,’” Bryant said. “If we can make it happen, if at all possible, we’re going to do it.”

The word “Yes” hangs behind the cash register to remind the staff and customers of the owners’ motto for the café.

Brick Street Café is a fun and eclectic place that you’ll want to visit again and again.

You can find this local café on Augusta Street in the Historic West End District down from the Greenville Drive stadium.

Brick Street Café is open Monday through Saturday for lunch from 11 a.m.-2:30 p.m. Dinner is served Thursday through Saturday from 5:30-9:30 p.m.

Parking is provided behind and on the side of the restaurant.