Merging two opposites: eatery serves sushi, Tex-Mex in one location

With two operating kitchens in one restaurant, Takosushi invites customers to taste both far eastern and southwestern flavors. Photo: Olivia Prairie

What do you get when you blend the spicy kick of Southwest fare with the Eastern flavors of freshly rolled sushi? The surprisingly enjoyable fusion of Southwest and Far East in a single restaurant called Takosushi.

With two operating kitchens in one restaurant, Takosushi can satisfy both the cravings of the salsa and chip lovers as well as the sushi enthusiasts. But not only does the unexpected menu combo make this eatery a unique downtown destination, the quality and taste of Takosushi’s food also make it a place worth visiting.

If you feel like wielding a pair of chopsticks, browse through the menu of Makimono Rolls — sushi rolled with small bamboo mats called a makisu — all prepared to order by chefs at the sushi bar. With more than 30 options listed on the menu, it may be tough to navigate and difficult to choose just one roll, but the extra decision-making effort will pay off for a sushi lover.

“By far, our best seller is the Crazy Roll,” a waitress said during the local lunch rush. Also known as Kevin’s Roll (named for the owner Kevin Goldsmith), the popular selection rolls up shrimp tempura and cucumber, fresh shrimp, crab, avocado, teriyaki glaze and Takosushi Sauce.

Or try the Firecracker Roll that packs a punch of spice in the spicy apple mayo sauce. The fish in this roll is tempura fried tilapia, combined with avocado, cream cheese and cucumber, then topped with masago, or fish eggs.

The Super Krunchy roll gives sushi an extra crunch with tempura shrimp and cucumber, rolled with avocado, smoked salmon and teriyaki glaze.

The menu’s other rolls include a wide variety of fish for almost any sushi aficionado, whether you’d like tuna, crab, lobster, scallops or eel. Be adventurous and take your pick.

But perhaps you’re the one who’s squirming at the thought of raw fish, or you just want a change of pace. Go the Southwestern route, and pick from the “tako” side of Takosushi.

You’ll have the option to choose takos, burritos, enchiladas or quesadillas paired with your choice of filling: tempura fried Baha Fish, pan-seared tilapia, lime pork, chorizo and green chile chicken, beef or shrimp. Known for its tempura fried fish, Takosushi mixes up typical Tex-Mex with unexpected crunch and flavor.

The steak takos are popular, and the Southwest tuna tartar is a guest favorite. The portions are filling, the flavors are fresh, and unlike most of the sushi rolls, the fish is cooked.

Just as the menu merges flavors from distinctly different spots on the map, this smaller restaurant’s red walls display a mix of décor, giving the place the atmosphere of a sushi joint with a bonus Tex-Mex flair. With a central location on the corner of Main Street and McBee Avenue, it’s a convenient stop for an evening downtown. But you may need to plan for a wait, because the small space fills quickly. Here’s an insider’s tip: jump at the opportunity to sit at the sushi bar. The sushi chef may give complimentary cucumber salads or smoked salmon, and watching the chefs perform their craft is worth your feet dangling from the stool.