Musical strings: harp, string ensembles to pluck, strum during spring concerts

Musicians prepare for the upcoming harp and string concerts. Photo: Molly Waits

BJU’s chamber harp ensemble will present a concert on Saturday, April 5, at 5 p.m. in Stratton Hall. The ensemble, under the direction of Mrs. Emily Waggoner of the department of instrumental studies, will feature pieces from operas by Tchaikovsky, Ponchielli and several other composers.

Although the concert itself does not have a set theme, the members of the chamber harp ensemble have put a lot of thought into each piece they will play. Waggoner described a group discussion of the mental picture for each of the seven short movements of the piece “Dyads” by the French composer Andres. Each member of the group wrote a haiku describing the piece that will be included in the ensemble’s program.

Erin Hansen, a sophomore orchestral instrument performance major, said of the group, “I love the camaraderie among all the harpists. We’re not just fellow music majors, we’re good friends.”

Fellow harpist Lissie Yankelitis, a freshman music education major, echoed Hansen: “My favorite part about the ensemble is the close relationships that we develop with the other harpists.”

“My favorite part is performing with so many other harpists in a variety of settings,” said Mary Hannah Hale, also a freshman music education major.

The chamber harp ensemble will join the Bob Jones University percussion ensemble under the direction of Mr. Rob Schoolfield of the department of instrumental studies for two new arrangements for harp and percussion ensemble at the end of the program.

The faculty string quartet, composed of department of instrumental studies faculty members Mrs. Dianne Pinner, Mrs. Rachel Taclob, Ms. Kristin Figard and adjunct music professor Dr. Yuriy Leonovich will present a concert on Monday, April 7, at 5 p.m. in War Memorial Chapel.

This concert will celebrate of the music of the late Dr. Dwight Gustafson, featuring pieces he composed and arranged.

The outstanding composition in this concert is “Songs of the Kings,” a four-movement piece for string quartet composed by the late Dr. Gustafson at the request of a violin maker. The first three movements depict three kings of the Old Testament: David, Hezekiah and Josiah. The last movement depicts the King of Kings, Jesus Christ. The piece premiered in 1994.

“This piece is my favorite part [of the concert],” said Dianne Pinner, daughter of the late Dr. Gustafson.

The piece gives her a chance to revisit a work of her father and perform it in his honor.