Cavaliers halt Tornado winning streak, win by 11-point margin

The Cavaliers fight for a basket in a game that broke the Zeta Chi Tornado three-game winning streak. Photo: Amanda Ross

The Chi Alpha Pi Cavaliers, coming off a three-game losing streak, desperately needed a win last Friday night as they took on the Epsilon Zeta Chi Tornadoes. The Tornadoes, who had won three games straight, were unable to answer the Cavs, and Chi Alpha won 46-35.

Chi Alpha, who has been struggling to keep a consistent roster so far this season, received a much-needed boost from senior Matt Ashley and graduate student Brett Stowe. While the veteran Ashley provided both an outside threat and the ability to penetrate the lane, Stowe brought strong defense to the table and his midrange jumper on offense.

The Tornadoes, averaging just under 53 points per game, are the second-highest scoring team in either league right now, behind the Kappa Sigma Knights who are averaging just under 55 per game. Zeta Chi’s defense, on the other hand, is ranked only 14th overall, allowing almost 44 points per game. The Tornadoes have been relying on their offense so far this year, and they would need yet another high-scoring performance if they were to walk out with their fourth straight win. The Cavaliers, however, had other ideas.

Zeta Chi started the first half on top, leading the Cavs for the first 12 minutes. It was Ashley who gave the Cavs their first lead at 12-11, and as the half wore down, the Cavs took a 22-18 advantage.

The second half was a hard one for Zeta Chi, as junior Phil Shiver and freshman Zane Addis tried to propel their struggling offense forward. Shiver proved effective against the Cavs, cutting through the lane time after time. But it was not enough to close the gap, as the Cavs won the game, 46-35.

The Cavs, Tornadoes and Cobras all have a record of 6-4 after the weekend, and each will be vying for the third and fourth playoff spot in the American League. The Knights and Razorbacks are likely to claim the first two seeds, leaving just two spots for three determined teams.