Bruins women clip Owls’ wings, winning 70-67

The Bruins women traveled to Asheville, N.C., on Feb. 6 to take on the Warren Wilson College Owls. This game was originally on the calendar for the previous week, but it was rescheduled because of snow.

The past couple of games have been rough for the Bruins, but tough defense and good outside shooting made the Bruins the better team this time. Warren Wilson fell to the Bruins in overtime by three points, ending the Owls’ four-game winning streak.

Both teams went back and forth with the lead at the beginning of the game. The Bruins tacked on early fouls and had to limit their own physical play, but the guards stepped up and hit outside shots. At the end of the half, BJU led 35-30, but the Owls weren’t far behind.

BJU still had plenty of work to do in the second half. The Owls pressed on and eventually caught up to the Bruins, snatching the lead with less than five minutes on the clock. BJU regrouped and tied the game just in time, with both teams at 61 points.

With senior Kim Spiecker’s five points and a few other buckets made by timely contributors, BJU pulled ahead and took the victory, 70-67. Spiecker totaled 23 points for the game, five of them 3-pointers.

“Our team did a good job staying mentally focused, and in the overtime everyone was calm,” junior Kourtney Hoefler said. “It was good to see that after our Pensacola game where we just lost it. This [win] is huge for our team. We played really well over all. We are ready for anything,” she said.

The basketball season is winding down for the Bruins basketball team, but there is still work to do before hitting regionals.