Week at a Glance

Click image to enlarge.
WAG2

Advent Organ Recitals
Three Advent organ recitals celebrating the birth of Christ will be presented on Dec. 4, 11 and 18, each starting at 12:10 p.m. and lasting 30 minutes.

Mr. Ed Rea, a faculty member in the department of keyboard studies, will play on Dec. 4, Mrs. Donna Crawford, also of the department of keyboard studies, will perform on Dec. 11, and the final performer will be Dr. Ed Dunbar, chairman of the Division of Music, on Dec. 18.

The focus of all three performances will be Christmas music. “Advent is a term that describes the Lord Jesus’ coming to earth,” Rea said. The first program includes In Dulci Jubilo, a prelude and fugue by J. S. Bach, and various other carols.

These recitals commemorate the 25th anniversary of the installation of the War Memorial Chapel’s organ. The organ currently in use in the chapel is a Wicks instrument. It was bought from a church in the Phoenix, Ariz., area to replace an old electronic organ that could not resonate in the chapel.

“The sound of this pipe organ, from soft and gentle to full and majestic, beautifully fills the chapel,” Rea said.

Ice Skating
The Student Leadership Council will host the annual ice skating event on Dec. 6 from 11:45 p.m. to 1:15 a.m.

Tickets for the event can be bought at Activities & Organizations for $15 starting at 8 a.m. on Dec. 4. Space is limited and spots fill up quickly, so make plans early.

Hot chocolate, coffee and other refreshments will be available for all ice skaters. Dress is casual, and jeans are permissible for this activity.

Chamber Singers Concert
The Chamber Singers will perform their program titled “Christmas Night” on Dec. 7 at 7 p.m. in the War Memorial Chapel. The program will be directed by Dr. Warren Cook, a faculty member in the department of music.

Focusing on a variety of Christmas music from traditional English carols to American folk carols, this performance showcases 24 of Bob Jones University’s best singers selected from the Chorale. Some pieces will be accompanied by a piano while others will be sung a cappella.

“The Chamber Singers are accomplished choral musicians with great vocal and expressive gifts,” Cook said.