WBJU to broadcast Christmas cheer with traditional program

Kaitlyn+Kinney%2C+Catherine+McCrary+and+Emilee+Nelson+practice+in+the+studio+for+WBJU%E2%80%99s+Christmas+broadcast.++Photo%3A+Amanda+Ross+
Kaitlyn Kinney, Catherine McCrary and Emilee Nelson practice in the studio for WBJU’s Christmas broadcast. Photo: Amanda Ross

After the Christmas Lighting Ceremony rings in the start of the Christmas season on campus, WBJU will once again host its traditional Christmas broadcast in the Snack Shop from 7 to 10 p.m.

The theme of this year’s broadcast, “Christmas Memories,” will provide students and community members the chance to share personal memories and kick off the Christmas season in festive style.

The programming will be broadcast live from the Snack Shop, and WBJU will host a variety of games with prizes, such as Chick-fil-A sandwiches or Papa John’s pizzas (redeemable right in the Snack Shop).

If your singing voice is warmed up from caroling at the lighting ceremony, try competing in the karaoke contest in the Snack Shop.

The radio segment of the program will run from 7 to 9 p.m. and will feature both WBJU staff and students sharing their own personal Christmas memories.

Following the same format as WBJU’s Mystery Night earlier in the semester, students can listen to the broadcast either on WBJU 104.5 FM or online via WBJU IQ Radio at WBJU.home.bju.edu.

Students, faculty and staff, and guests are all encouraged to participate in the on-air game shows in the Snack Shop.

Andrea Sanford is the director of this year’s program and said the show always provides classic Christmas entertainment, especially this year’s theme. “The theme ‘Christmas Memories’ is something everyone can relate to,” Sanford said. “We encourage people to share their own Christmas memories and traditions that they’ve had.”

Three teams of the WBJU staff will each present a third of the program’s content, games and contests, but many hours of behind-the-scenes preparation from both WBJU students and faculty are necessary to make the broadcast possible. Other students operate the soundboards, supervise technical tasks and host the broadcast. Faculty advisers for WBJU, Dr. Heidi Campbell, Mr. David Lurtey and Mrs. Kathryn Gamet, oversee and coordinate the composition of the broadcast, but WBJU students are given the chance to actually host the broadcast and improve their individual radio skills.

During the final hour of the show, from 9 to 10 p.m., WBJU will broadcast some traditional Christmas TV shows, including Rudolph the Red-nosed Reindeer, on campus televisions.