Pi Gamma Royals shut out Nu Delta Vikings in 2-0 victory

Pi+Gamma+midfielder+Tim+Rodman+defends+the+ball+from+Nu+Delta+defender+Matthew+Clemons.+++++Photo%3A+Dave+Saunders+
Pi Gamma midfielder Tim Rodman defends the ball from Nu Delta defender Matthew Clemons. Photo: Dave Saunders

The Pi Gamma Delta Royals squared up against the Nu Delta Chi Vikings last Friday night in men’s intramural soccer. The Pi Gamma Royals improved their record to 3-2-2 by beating the Nu Delta Vikings, 2-0.

The Vikings, now 1-5-1, got off to a sloppy start. Pi Gamma took advantage and attempted several close shots just minutes into the game, including a well-designed pass from freshman Ryan Hwang to senior Andrew Albert, although Albert ended up missing the shot.

Two minutes later, though, Albert assisted Hwang for a shot that found its way into the back of the net, making the score 1-0. The Vikings were able to maintain the one-goal deficit for the next several minutes with intense defense, including a clutch block by sophomore midfielder Fredy Whatley, who stepped in front of a wide-open Pi Gamma striker to save a goal.

With three minutes before halftime, it was the Royals’ Hwang who once again scored for Pi Gamma, giving them a 2-0 lead at the half. Hwang made an impressive show of footwork as he single-handedly worked his way from midfield through Nu Delta’s defense. As Viking sophomore goalkeeper Josh Huntington made a move on the ball, Hwang chipped the ball over Huntington’s head and into the empty net.

The second half brought plenty of offensive chances, though they all proved fruitless. The Vikings found some much needed help from junior Diego Campos, who arrived at halftime and helped move the ball forward, but the Royals defense proved too much as the Vikings were unable to turn the tide of the game. With the final score 2-0, the Royals can now look ahead to their last regular season game against the Alpha Omega Lions on Nov. 15 at 5:30 p.m.