Alpha adds another win, stays undefeated

Alpha%E2%80%99s+Tommy+Colavito++heads+the+ball+away+from+Sigma%E2%80%99s+Tim+Sampson.%0A+Photo%3A+Molly+Waits+
Molly Waits
Alpha’s Tommy Colavito heads the ball away from Sigma’s Tim Sampson. Photo: Molly Waits

The Alpha Theta Pi Razorbacks once again proved their dominance in the men’s intramural soccer league last week by defeating the Sigma Alpha Chi Spartans with a score of 2–0.

Alpha started off the game strong, pushing their offense deep into Spartan territory time after time. Sigma was not about to back down easily though, as sophomore goalie Evan Fisher led the Spartan defense in rejecting several Razorback shot attempts.

It was just six minutes into the game, however, when junior Tommy Sims dribbled into heavy traffic and fired a close shot that ripped into the right corner of the net.

The next 20 minutes of the game would be played at the Razorbacks’ pace. Alpha showed why it’s undefeated this season, showing superior ball handling skills, passing abilities and teamwork, and continuing to create more goal opportunities. Although Alpha had several more shots, Sigma’s defense held the results to a minimum. Spartan sophomore Ben Gingery showed a strong presence, as well as freshman Gabriel Lee and sophomore Brandon Weldon.

In the final two minutes of the first half, Alpha’s Rudy Sims, a freshman, ripped a mid-range attempt, but Sigma’s Fisher was there with a diving save. A minute later, it was Fisher again, this time leaping to block an Alpha corner kick and holding Alpha to a 1–0 lead at halftime.

At the start of the second half, it was Alpha’s offense again jumping out to take command of the game. Nine of Sigma’s 11 players could be seen stacking the box a few minutes later, with the other two players just outside. The Spartans’ defense had played well the first half, allowing only the one goal, and it would be the key if Sigma was to come back and win the game.

Sigma’s break would never come, and although they held Alpha for 19 minutes in the second half, it was Sims who would once again score for Alpha on a free kick. The shot was a rocket, and although Fisher was able to get his hand on it, the deflection was not enough to stop the ball from powering into the back of the net.

No more goals would be scored for either team, and Alpha went on to win 2–0. Alpha is now 6–0 on the season while retaining the No. 1 ranking in the league. Sigma, with only a victory over the Nu Delta Vikings, fell to 1-5.