Chorale and Collegiate choir to present fall concerts

Staff+GA+Lydia+Minnick+and+senior+Sarai+Dahlhausen+prepare+for+the+Chorale+concert.+++Photo%3A+Amanda+Ross+
Staff GA Lydia Minnick and senior Sarai Dahlhausen prepare for the Chorale concert. Photo: Amanda Ross

Two of BJU’s concert choirs will sing about the Christian’s daily walk and long-term perspective on heaven in fall concerts this week.

The BJU Chorale will perform “My Flight for Heaven” tonight at 6:30 p.m. and 8 p.m. in War Memorial Chapel.

The Chorale, composed of 50 members, is BJU’s “premier concert and repertoire choir,” according to Dr. Warren Cook, director of the Chorale and a member of the department of music theory and technology faculty.

The program will feature songs about praise, prayer, loss, hope and peace.

“[The concert] takes a journey through the valleys of life and then back to the hope of heaven,” Cook said. “The pieces we put in the program speak very clearly of who Christ is and the hope that we have in Him.”

Free tickets are available at the Gustafson Fine Arts Center Music Library or at Programs & Productions. Although tickets are required, a few extra seats will become available to non-ticket holders five minutes before the concerts begin.

The Collegiate Choir, a 39-member sophomore-level choir conducted by Mr. Fred Coleman, will perform its fall concert “Dawn, Day & Dusk” at 5 p.m. Wednesday, Oct. 30, in War Memorial Chapel.

“[We sing] about the routines of our daily lives,” Coleman said. “Waking up in the morning, living through the day and what God has allowed, then looking at evening and seeing what we invested our lives in.”

The concert will consist primarily of modern choral pieces that have never been sung by a BJU choir before, but include a few campus favorites such as “Sure on This Shining Night” by Morten Lauridsen.

“It’s a very unique [program],” Coleman said. “The students have loved learning all of them and enjoy all of the pieces. It’s been challenging, fun and rewarding to get ready for this.”