Razorbacks take down Rams, improve winning streak to 4-0

The Phi Kappa Pi Rams challenged the Alpha Theta Pi Razorbacks on Oct. 10, but came up short, losing by five goals. The Rams needed a win to breathe life back into their playoff hopes, but Alpha handily won the match 5-0 and improved their own record to 4-0.

Senior Marc Pagliuca got the Razorbacks off to a quick start, scoring on a penalty kick two minutes into the match. Alpha’s momentum grew as freshman Drew Hoffman headed in a corner kick less than three minutes later to put Alpha ahead 2-0.

The Rams were unable to keep up with Alpha’s fast play and superior passing, and Hoffman scored his second goal just two minutes later. With the score at 3-0, the Rams managed to ward off Alpha’s relentless offense for almost 20 more minutes, but Tommy Colavito and the Alpha defense played an outside half and stifled any offensive action.

With four minutes left in the first half, Alpha’s Pagliuca once again found the net after an impressive maneuver past Phi Kappa’s goalie.

At halftime, a tired Rams team gathered to discuss their performance and consider the approaching second half. Junior Jordan Awe led the discussion with constructive criticism and encouragement for his team. Shortly before concluding he added, “Guys, we can walk off this field with our heads up.” With a seemingly more aggressive attitude among the teammates, phrases like “don’t back off,” “keep going after the ball,” and “keep up the pressure” could be heard from the conversation.

Alpha came right back at the Rams in the second half, ripping off several shots high and wide. Five minutes in, however, the Razorbacks closed in on the goal, and freshman Andrew Netz scored the only goal of the second half, making the score 5-0 in Alpha’s favor.

At a season record of 4-0, Alpha is the only team with a perfect record, making the Razorbacks an early playoff hopeful. The Beta Gamma Patriots are next at 2-0-2, tying both Pi Gamma and Omega earlier in the season. The Pi Kappa Cobras are also off to a decent start at 2-1-1, with a loss to the Patriots and a tie with the Pi Gamma Royals.