Week at a Glance

Faculty Chamber Winds
Friday, Oct. 18, 7 p.m.

Bake-Off
Saturday, Oct. 19, 7 p.m. and 8:30 p.m.

Trombone and Horn Choirs
Wednesday, Oct. 23, 5 p.m.

Faculty Chamber Winds
The Faculty Chamber Winds will present a concert in Stratton Hall tonight at 7 p.m.

The concert will be “a great opportunity for students to see and hear their faculty collaborating musically for God’s glory,” director Michael Moore said.

The concert will feature commissioned music from award-winning composer and member of the BJU music faculty, Seth Custer. The theme of the concert is “Recycled Music,” which refers to musical pieces that have been reworked and updated over the years.

Though this may at first sound “strange or unappealing,” Moore said, he believes those who attend will be “in for a pleasant surprise.”

Bake-Off
The winning plays of BJU’s annual theatre arts department Bake-Off will be presented in Performance Hall on Saturday at 7 and 8:30 p.m.

The Bake-Off process began on Wednesday, when approximately 30 to 40 writers wrote scripts within 24 hours. The scripts were narrowed down to four. Saturday morning, 20 to 30 student actors and directors will be assigned a play, practice it all day, and perform it that night.

Mr. Ron Pyle, head of the department of theatre arts, coordinates the Bake-Off with colleague Mr. Dave Schwingle.

“[The name ‘Bake-Off’] comes from the idea that you put a play ‘in the oven,’ and it comes out an hour later ready to enjoy,” Pyle said. “Bake-Off originated at Brown University and is done in many places around the country now.”

According to Pyle, usually two of the plays are serious and two are more lighthearted, but they’re all very good. “They’re fun to watch and easy to follow,” he said.

Trombone and Horn Choirs
The University trombone and horn choirs will perform in Stratton Hall on Wednesday, Oct. 23, at 5 p.m.

The horn choir, consisting of eight players, will perform various pieces arranged for the French horn. Mr. Mark Frederick, director of the horn choir, said he specifically chose one piece, The King’s Prayer by Wagner, in honor of the 200-year anniversary of the composer’s birth.

The trombone choir, featuring 10 players led by Mr. Paul Jantz, will play music from four different countries: America, England, Russia and Japan. Tokyo Triptych is the main piece, and it contains three movements representing three different areas of Tokyo.

Both Jantz and Frederick encourage students to come hear the unique sound of the trombones and horns. “Many have never heard a group of only trombones or horns play,” Jantz said. “Come enjoy some good, fun music.”